What is SLA?
Special librarians are information professionals dedicated to putting knowledge to work to attain the goals of their organizations. They are employed most frequently by corporations, private businesses, government agencies, museums, colleges, hospitals, associations, and information management consulting firms.
The Special Libraries Association supports the professional development and interests of librarians in this area of information science. The student chapter at the University of Tennessee sponsors events, educates members of happenings within the profession, and provides valuable opportunities for networking.
SLA @ UT... get involved!
As a UTK-SIS student, you are welcome at all meetings and other UTK/SLA Student Chapter sponsored events without being an organization member. However, by joining the UTK/SLA Student Chapter, you will help to support the student chapter as it continues to promote professional development and social events.
Whether you are an on-campus or distance-education student, we encourage you to begin growing in the profession through SLA membership!
- Download a membership form now.
- UTK/SLA membership dues are $5.00.
- Joining UTK/SLA does not require membership in national SLA, but membership in the national organization is encouraged.
UTK/SLA Advisor -
Kimberly Douglass, PhD. firstname.lastname@example.org
Join National SLA!
- National SLA - Student memberships cost only $35. Receive a subscription to "Information Outlook" as well as all resources available to regular members.
- National Events - Did you know that students are welcome at national SLA events? Student volunteer opportunities are also available.
- SLA Scholarships & Grants - SLA awards $30,000 in scholarships annually.
- SLA Student Community - Connect with students from other schools here!
- SLA Career Center - The career center contains essential tools to achieve your goals as a special librarian.
- Southern Appalachian Chapter/SLA - Get acquainted with local SLA members who already work in the field.
- Join the UTK/SLA Facebook page
- Check out our UTK student organization page