Students need to keep track of calendar deadlines for their practica. The application process deadline is the end of the semester before the one in which the practicum will occur.
Application Procedures and Deadlines:
- Interested students should discuss their interests with their faculty advisor, contact the Practicum Coordinator, and identify a practicum location and Practicum Supervisor, during the semester prior to the term in which they wish to do a practicum. Practicum objectives should be developed by working with the Advisor.
- Students should then discuss their practicum objectives with the Supervisor, and also negotiate the terms of the practicum, including the actual duties expected of the student, and a mutually-approved work schedule.
- The student should then submit the online practicum application form, which is automatically sent by email to the Practicum Coordinator, the Advisor, and the Practicum Supervisor, for their review.
- The Supervisor and Advisor will each indicate to the Coordinator their acceptance of, modifications to, or rejection of the practicum objectives, by replying to the email copy of the application. If the Advisor and/or Supervisor indicate a change is necessary, or that the objectives as presented in the application are unacceptable, the Coordinator will contact the student to ensure that the specified changes are made, or if rejected, that the student contacts the Advisor. The student would then resubmit the application with the revised objectives.
- After the Practicum Coordinator has received the email replies from the Advisor and Supervisor indicating their approval of the application, the Practicum Coordinator will submit the online Practicum Coordinator approval form. This form will automatically notify by email the student, Advisor and Supervisor of the practicum's approval and activation.
- After the student has received the Coordinator approval form email, the student should register for 3 units of IS 599. Once the practicum semester begins, the student will be able to access the IS 599 BlackBoard course site at Online@UT.
Practicum Evaluations: Supervisors must provide two evaluations of the student's performance during the practicum: the Mid-Point Evaluation and the Final Practicum Evaluation. Since the actual work of the practicum may begin or end at different dates, students are asked to track when their particular evaluations are due.
Mid-Point Evaluation: Students will calculate the mid-point of their practicum. At least one week before that point in the term, students should ask their Supervisor to complete the online Mid-Point Evaluation form. Students should also use this opportunity to ask their supervisor for an evaluation of their efforts.
Final Practicum Evaluation: Students will calculate the end point of their practicum (completion of the required 150 hours). At least 10 days before that endpoint, students should ask their Supervisor to complete the online Final Practicum Evaluation form.
Practicum Report: Students will submit an un-graded 6-10 page report describing, reflecting on, and evaluating their practicum experience, at least one week before the last day of classes for the semester. More information concerning requirement for the report is located under Practicum Expectations.
Student Feedback for Practicum Coordinator: Students will fill out a Student Feedback for Practicum Coordinator at the end of the Practicum. The form will be submitted to SIS Practicum Coordinator in the final week of classes for the semester. For more information, contact:
Kitty McClanahan - Practicum Coordinator
School of Information Sciences
451 Communications Building
1345 Circle Park Drive, Suite 451
Knoxville, TN 37996
Dr. Ed Cortez, Director & faculty of record for the Practicum program