Youth Informatics Certificate Program Available at UT School of Information Sciences!
The School of Information Sciences (SIS) at the University of Tennessee is offering a new graduate certificate program in Youth Informatics.
The program is open to all Master’s/PhD students. It requires successful completion of 12 credit hours, four classes of three credit hours each.
- Learn how youth use and apply technology in diverse settings
- 12-credit hour program: 4 courses, 3-credit hours each (tentative schedule)
- Available to all graduate level students across the UT system regardless of discipline
- Continuing education (CWS) credit available
- Valuable program for professionals who engage youth through information technology:
- School and public librarians
- Teachers and education administrators
- Computer programmers and designers for youth,
- Youth group leaders
The certificate program will provide valuable information and credentialing to any professional engaged in youth services or youth interactions such as teachers, education administrators, school or public librarians, computer/software programmers and designers, and youth group leaders.
What is it?
Informatics is the science of gathering, manipulating, storing, retrieving, and classifying recorded information using information and communication technology (ICT).
Youth informatics is an interdisciplinary area of study that focuses on how youth transform information technology and how information technology transforms youth.
Who can apply?
Current UT SIS master’s students can earn the certificate by completing YIC required courses as a part of their Master’s degree coursework - with prior approval from SIS Coordinator of Youth Informatics (Dania Bilal, PhD, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Master’s and doctoral students currently enrolled in other programs, even those at other universities may also apply
- Practitioners with a Master’s or doctoral degree from another program at UT or from another university
Applications can be submitted through the UTK Graduate Admissions office after final approval from SACSCOC accrediting agency.
For more information about the Youth Informatics Certificate Program, call the SIS offices at 865-974-2148, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (EST) or send an email to email@example.com.
For a downloadable program sheet, click here for the PDF file.
The program, which is pending final approval from the SACSCOC accrediting agency, will officially launch in Fall 2016.
NOTE: Students may apply now through the Graduate Admissions office. The Certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of the requirements and pending SACSCOC final program approval.