Beverly Dance Scholarship Criteria
The scholarship is open to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or veteran status with the following criteria:
- The scholarship is open to students currently enrolled or admitted to attend the UT College of Communication & Information.
- Additional preferences include by are not limited to:
- Applicants must be pursuing a Master’s degree in the School of Information Sciences or secondarily an upper classman from the school. Students with emphasis in elementary education will be given preference.
- Applicants must provide in writing, 25 words or less, why they should receive this scholarship. Submissions will be judged on ingenuity and cleverness. Examples could be prose, short poem or haiku describing ones unique abilities or circumstances.
- Applicants must demonstrate successful academic performance.
- Financial need may be considered.
About Beverly Dance
This scholarship was given by the grandsons of Beverly Dance in her memory. She graduated from UT in 1950 and returned decades later to complete her Master’s degree in library and information science. She served as an elementary school librarian in the Knox County school system for two decades. She was known for riveting telling of children’s stories and her love of reading. This scholarship honors her legacy to hundreds of young elementary school students whose lives were impacted by her life and influence.