This is an all-day event and attendance is required for all degree-seeking students who have been accepted into the Information Sciences Master's program. Attendance is required for ALL sessions.
Date: August 17, 2018
Location: Communications Building, UT Knoxville Campus (map)
Orientation Fee: NONE!
Where: Communications Building
CHECK-IN: 8:00-9:00 a.m., 3rd floor Lobby, Circle Park Entrance. Please arrive between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. to check in. The first session will begin at 9:00.
- Step One: Submit your Photo Release Form to receive your name badge. (You cannot check in without your form!)
- Step Two: Move to the photo area to have your picture taken.
- Step Three: Go to the next table to receive your folder and directions to your assigned room to begin the day. All students who pre-ordered parking permits will pay here - $5 Parking fee - CASH ONLY
|All Sessions Mandatory||Time|
|Welcome, Introductions, Advising Break-Outs||9:00 a.m.|
|Practitioner Panels||1:00 p.m.|
|Final Announcements and Completion Certificates||3:00 p.m.||You must pick up your completion certificate! (This is how your attendance is counted for the day.)|
|ICE CREAM SOCIAL||3:15 p.m.|
|School Media Library Specialist Session (Optional)||3:45 p.m.|
Note: Schedule is tentative and subject to change.
Knoxville can be very warm and humid in August, so please dress comfortably. We do not recommend that spouses or children accompany you to orientation.
All new students are required to complete an online session of technology training prior to the beginning of classes. More information coming soon!
Basic technology skills can be found on the ICT Skills page. These competencies are required and assumed on the first day of class.
Travel and Lodging
Knoxville is located at the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, on the junction of Interstate 40 and Interstate 75. Exits on I-40 for the university are clearly indicated. Online maps of Knoxville and the campus are available at http://www.utk.edu/maps.
- Take I-40 to Exit 386B (Alcoa Highway 129)
- Merge onto U.S. 129 (towards the Airport and Smoky Mountains)
- Take the Neyland Drive exit
- Turn left on Neyland Drive and travel about 1.4 miles
- Turn left onto Fort Loudon Lake Boulevard (you’ll see the entrance to campus and Thompson Boling Arena)
- If you are parking on campus and have purchased a permit, turn right onto Philip Fulmer Way. Just beyond the arena, the entrance to the G-10 parking garage will be on the right.
Need a hotel?
Special rates and packages for UT campus visitors are available from nearby hotels. You’ll want to book your room early if possible. Because lodging needs vary so much, there is no group reservation for any particular hotel, but if you are looking for something close to campus, you can find a list of options at http://admissions.utk.edu/getting-here/accommodations/.
One Stop Office
The VolCard is your University ID Card to be used for identification purposes or access to goods and services on campus. Even if you are studying at a distance, the VolCard will be required if you plan to make technology purchases or access some library services.
Have your VolCard made today and pick it up on campus! You can submit a photo to the VolCard Office and pick it up during office hours. See the UT VolCard Office for more details.