The Coordinator of Student Services assigns an academic advisor to each new student based upon the student's professional interests and advisor availability. In order to create reasonable faculty work loads, a reasonable effort will be made to insure that each full-time faculty member will have about the same number of advisees.
Assigned academic advisors contact each new advisee in a timely manner, welcoming the new student to the School and establishing an advising relationship.
A student may seek advice from any member of the faculty, but the assigned advisor is primarily responsible for working with the student on such issues as course selection, academic challenges, and placement. Because courses may fill quickly, and some courses such as independent studies require additional preparation and permissions, students are encouraged to contact their advisor as soon as enrollment dates are announced. At the same time, faculty are encouraged to respond to any student advisement requests in a timely manner.
If desired, students may request a change in advisor to better meet their academic needs. A request can be submitted using the Change of Advisor Request form.
The Student's Responsibility
Students should contact their advisor before each course registration period or when help is needed. Graduate students are expected to ask questions and partner with their academic advisor in selecting courses and preparing for placement. Students are responsible for understanding graduation and other University policies and procedures. Policies and procedures are found in the Graduate Catalog. Students must contact their advisor before they register each semester. Further, students should
- Devote considerable time and effort toward achieving academic excellence;
- Read and be familiar with the UTK graduate study regulations and policies;
- Take initiative in finding answers to questions;
- Alert the adviser when encountering challenges likely to impact academic success;
- Communicate regularly with their advisers.
The Academic Advisor's Responsibility
Advisor's assist and provide guidance with:
- Questions that may arise before the student chooses to register;
- Academic and career goals and objectives;
- Creating an appropriate program of study;
- Understanding and meeting degree requirements;
- Understanding and meeting University, College, and School academic policies and procedures;
- Monitoring progress toward degree completion;
- Identifying campus services appropriate to student needs;
- Responding to academic challenges and personal challenges likely to impact academic performance;
- Placement activities such as resumes cover letters, and interview preparation.