Mission, vision, and values guide the School of Information Sciences (SIS) as it embraces and shapes the future as an iSchool.
The University of Tennessee School of Information Sciences:
Enriching our communities through outstanding research, education, and public service that advance the frontiers of Information.
- Create value through meaningful engagement for a diverse and pluralistic information ecology;
- Advance original ideas for an information society through inquiry, discovery, scholarship, and creative activity;
- Lead by preparing ethical, innovative, and reflective information professionals.
As a land-grant institution committed to excellence, SIS values:
- Diversity and inclusion, respect for all opinions and people, free exchange of ideas, and academic freedom;
- Intellectual curiosity, reflectiveness, and lifelong learning;
- Rigor in research, scholarship, teaching, and service;
- Student, community and professional engagement;
- Adaptability, agility, and flexibility in all we do, using data-driven and transparent decision-making.